24 November 2005

Operating under a new grading paradigm

In the U.S. a bad grade on a test is always a bummer. But alas, you suck it up and say, "I will do better on the next one. After all it is only the final grade that matters."

Here is quite a bit different. If your average on the first two test is a 7/10 or higher, you don't need to take the final. You pass the class and it's over. If your average is less than 7 but greater than 3 you must take the final which is weighted 50% of the overall grade. You will pass the class if you recieve an overall grade of 5 or higher.

Under this system the emphasis appears to be on passing. There is not a lot of worrying about grades so long as you pass. I finished my Applied Statistics II class with an 8/10, which was the average of my first two tests, so I "got" to skip the final. However, if an 8/10 translates into a B- in the U.S., then in the U.S. I would probably opt to take the final and perhaps improve my grade so my GPA doesn't suffer. But not here... I take my 8 and am just happy I don't have to take the final. Besides, the class credit transfers but not the grade.

I feel bad for the OSU students here, who's grades transfer too... Luckily for them, our program director is essentially making up the grade conversion table between the two universities. And with finals coming up, it may be a good time to take him out to dinner ;).

No comments: